Attachments in Emails
SkyDesk Mail provides a wide set of choices to add attachments to your email. The maximum size of the attachment is based on the subscription plan for organization users. For personal users, the maximum email size including all attachments is 20MB. However, in case of organization users, the administrators can add further restrictions to the email size using Mail Policy.
Generally, when you add attachments to your emails, the files get MIME encoded as per the RFC standards, to make it readable by the recipients, irrespective of the providers. The MIME encoding makes the files larger by up to 30%. A 15MB file on your desktop may appear to be a 20MB attachment when sent via email.
- Open the editor to draft the email.
- Click the 'Attachment' icon to choose a file from the desktop or other cloud services.
- Select 'Attach from Desktop' to select and browse files from your desktop.
- You can choose multiple files using Ctrl/ Shift keys and based on your browser support.
- Open the editor to draft the email.
- Select the attachments from your desktop.
- Drag them into the Composer window.
A drop area with the text 'Drop files here' will appear.
- Drop the dragged files inside the box.
- The files will be added as attachments to the email.
*The Attachment Drag and drop feature and attach multiple files features are supported in the Firefox 3.6 and above, Chrome 6.0 and above only.
Attach files from Cloud
Apart from attaching the email from desktop, you can also attach the emails from SkyDesk Docs or other cloud storage services. Click on the 'Attach from Cloud' option in the Attachment, to choose the provider and the file respectively. SkyDesk Mail being a cloud email supports other cloud storage services like SkyDesk Docs, DropBox, Google Drive, One Drive, Box, and Evernote.
- The 'My Attachments' section has files that you have already sent/ received as attachments in SkyDesk Mail.
- SkyDesk Mail allows you to browse the existing attachments using the 'My Attachments' section.
- Select the Attachments that you want to add to the email and click 'Attach'
- You can locate the exact attachment using the Filters option in the right top corner.
SkyDesk Docs is a part of the SkyDesk suite of applications and stores your files in the cloud. You can insert the attachments stored in your SkyDesk Docs account directly while composing your email.
Insert as Attachment
Click on the 'SkyDesk Docs' tab in the Attach from Cloud window.
- The files are classified as documents, presentations, spreadsheets and so on.
- You can also attach the files, that are shared with you via SkyDesk Docs.
- Select the files you want to attach to the email and click Attach.
- The selected files will be added as attachments to your email.
- If the combined size of the attachments exceeds the allowed limit, you will get an error message.
Insert as Docs Link
Instead of inserting the entire attachment, you can choose to insert just the link to the attachment and set the share permissions as required.
- Click on the 'SkyDesk Docs' tab in the 'Attach from Cloud' option.
- In the bottom right corner of the window, set the option in the 'Insert As' toggle bar to 'Docs Link'.
- Select the files whose links you would like to send.
- After selecting the required files, click 'Insert'.
- The links to these files are inserted into your compose window.
- Click on the 'Send' button
- The 'Share Files' window pops up.
- In this window, set the share preferences that you want to assign for the document.
- The following options are available while sharing:
- Recipients of this email - Members who receive your email and have a SkyDesk account can access the document. You can set either Read only or Read/Write permissions.
- Everyone in Connect with me - Members within your organization who have the link can access the document. You can set either Read only or Read/Write permissions.
- Everyone on the internet - Anyone who has access to the link can view the document. In this case, the recipient can't edit the document.
- In case you want the document to be available only for a particular period, select the 'Set Expiry Date' checkbox and set the relevant date.
- Click on 'Share & Send' to share the attachment link via email.
You can only share documents that are owned or co-owned by you as Docs links.
You can choose the attachments from Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, Box and even EverNote apart from your desktop files and the files in SkyDesk Docs.
- In the 'Attach from Cloud', select the Cloud Storage Service, in which you have the files to be attached. The cloud storage services currently supported are
- Google Drive
- One Drive
- When you use for the first time, you need to 'Authenticate' and allow SkyDesk Mail to browse and attach files from the service you choose.
- Once successfully authenticated, you can select the files listed in the Cloud Storage.
- You can select multiple files and click Attach to attach them to your email.
Similarly, you can also Save the attachments in your incoming emails, directly to your Cloud Storage accounts. Refer the help page 'Saving / Viewing attachments' for details.
Attaching from Desktop
- Click on the 'Attachments' icon from the Compose window
- Select the 'Attach from Cloud' option
- In the Desktop tab, you can Drop files/Browse/Paste files
- After choosing the necessary files, click 'Attach'
After selecting the necessary files, you can Annotate (highlight, add text, add colors, mark) important portions of images.
- After attaching, the selected files will appear on the screen
You can Annotate the selected files by clicking on the 'Annotate' option below the required file
In the 'Annotate' section, you can directly highlight portions of the file, add text etc. using the toolbox to the left of the image
- Click 'Done' after adding the necessary annotations
You can also rename the selected files by clicking on the name of the file.
- If the mail size exceeds the size defined by the mail policy, an alert will be displayed and the message will not be sent.