If you want to trial SkyDesk Mail for your business, with a minimum number of accounts, without changing the MX records of the main domain, you can try domain aliasing or subdomain stripping features. Enterprises and Organizations can use Domain Aliasing or Subdomain Stripping options, for migrating the users in a phase by phase manner to SkyDesk Mail, without disturbing the current email setup.
Even the organizations with multiple domains, can opt for domain aliasing option to easily manage all such domains with SkyDesk Mail.
In case you are looking for a new additional domain for your business, you can buy a domain through SkyDesk and have it pre-configured for SkyDesk Mail. Learn more.
Domain aliasing is the process of mapping a new domain as an alias to an existing domain that is already configured in SkyDesk. This ensures the automatic delivery of emails addressed to new aliased domain to the corresponding accounts in the existing domain.
Ex: Suppose you have set up mydomain.com, and have already configured email accounts based on the domain in SkyDesk to receive emails. You can add a new alias domain 'newdomain.org' and map it to 'mydomain.com', without having to set up new accounts/ aliases for newdomain.org domain.
The emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will be automatically delivered to email@example.com account, which is already set up.
- Login to https://mail.skydesk.jp/ as the Super Administrator
- Ensure that you have at least one domain, already added and setup in SkyDesk Mail.
- Click Control Panel >> Domains >> Add Domain
- Add the new domain, which you want to add as the alias.
- Ensure that you have already registered the new domain, and have sufficient privileges to access the DNS records of the domain.
- Verify the domain using CNAME/ HTML verification methods.
- Set up email delivery for the alias domain, by changing MX records of the the domain.
To add a domain as an alias domain, the email hosting status should be disabled for the domain. Only the email hosting disabled domains will be displayed in the drop down to configure domain aliases.
- Go to Control Panel >> Domains
- Disable Email Hosting for the new alias domain (newdomain.org), by clicking the mail icon in the domains page.
- After disabling, select the Domain Alias tab.
- Select the Primary domain (existing domain), from the first drop down
- Select the alias domain (new alias domain), from the second drop down.
- Click Add to create a new domain aliasing.
- Once added, it will be listed in the Domain alias listing.
- The new alias domain (newdomain.org) should be verified in SkyDesk, but Email Hosting should be in disabled state. Refer the image under Point 2.
- The existing domain (destination domain) should be enabled for Email Hosting and have domain based accounts in SkyDesk.
- Email delivery of new domain should be configured by the admin to ensure email delivery to SkyDesk Servers.
- The email delivery would be mapped as the table below, where newdomain.org is the alias domain and the mydomain.com is the existing domain:
To Address Delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
- The account firstname.lastname@example.org will not exist in SkyDesk. Only the account email@example.com should be configured in SkyDesk.
- It is recommended to configure a catch all for the destination (existing) domain, (mydomain.com) to avoid any bounce backs that may occur due to account mismatches.
Subdomain stripping is the process of removing the subdomains from the main domain and delivering the emails to the main domain directly. Suppose, you have configured your subdomain child.mydomain.com to deliver emails to SkyDesk servers, any email delivered to the address firstname.lastname@example.org will be delivered to email@example.com automatically, if subdomain stripping is enabled for the domain mydomain.com.
Suppose the primary domain is zillum.com and the admin wants to configure sales.zillum.com for your sales related email accounts, support.zillum.com for your support related email accounts, etc. You need not specifically create aliases based on these subdomains, but simply enable subdomain stripping for zillum.com. In that case, the emails to sales.zillum.com or support.zillum.com will automatically be delivered to the corresponding zillum.com accounts.
|To Address||Delivered to|
Any email delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org will be automatically delivered to email@example.com, after stripping the subdomain.
Steps to configure Subdomain Stripping:
- Login to https://www.skydesk.jp/en/apps/mail/ as Super Admin
- Click Control Panel >> Domains
- Make sure that the primary domain is added and verified
- Click Subdomain Stripping
- The list of domains configured in your organization will be listed.
- Click ON across the domain to enable subdomain stripping for the domain.
- Ensure that any subdomain you use, is configured to deliver email in SkyDesk.
You can ideally use the Subdomain stripping option, for trial using SkyDesk Mail. You need not change the MX records of your actual domain, but just need to create and update the MX records for a subdomain, say skydesk.yourdomain.com. By this you can complete all the other set up tasks like adding/ verifying the domain, creating user accounts etc, without pointing the MX records. You can enable email forwarding for some selective accounts, from @yourdomain.com to @skydesk.yourdomain.com, until you decide to change the MX records of the actual domain.
- You can use your default domain in SkyDesk, during Email Hosting set up.
- Create the users, in SkyDesk Mail.
- Enable subdomain stripping in SkyDesk Mail.
- In your currently active email account, configure email forwarding at user level from firstname.lastname@example.org email account to email@example.com, for the trial users.
Alternatively, you can also create specialized subdomains like sales.yourdomain.com, support.yourdomain.com etc for functional requirements and publish the email addresses based on those subdomains in your websites etc. Once the email delivery for the special domains has been configured, the emails delivered to SkyDesk will be routed to the corresponding accounts in yourdomain.com. This will help you to easily filter out emails from different sources, to the same account.